Did you know…..?
Panama City Beach is located in Bay County, Fla., in the Northwest part of the state. The destination is best known for its more than 27 miles of white sand beaches edging emerald green waters where the Gulf of Mexico and St. Andrew Bay converge.
Here’s some fast, fun facts about Panama City Beach that may surprise you:
- Panama City Beach opened the new Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport on May 23, 2010, which is the first international airport in the United States to be built from the ground up in over a decade.
- Panama City Beach is known as the “Seafood Capital of the South,” and offers an array of dining options to please all palates including award-winning restaurants, casual beachfront cafes and family-friendly tables
- Panama City Beach is also known as the “Wreck Capital of the South,” and draws scuba divers from around the world to explore historic wrecks and artificial reefs while snorkelers chase Manta rays and brightly colored tropical fish.
- Panama City Beach is home to the world famous St. Andrews State Park, which has ranked third on the list of Top 10 beaches in the United States by Trip Advisor, offers a wealth of options for nature lovers, from the Blue Heron Trail and the Gator Lake Trail to Button Bush Marsh and Shell Island – a pristine barrier island situated just across the ship’s channel from the mainland. Spanning 700 undeveloped acres, Shell Island is truly a hidden gem treasured by locals and visitors alike.
- Seaside, right down the road from Panama City Beach, is where Jim Carrey’s “The Truman Show” (1998) was filmed. The movie went on to receive 3 Oscar nominations and 29 wins in various awards categories.
Panama City Beach boasts numerous travel awards and honors, including:
- Travelers Choice Award for 2012, TripAdvisor
- #3 “Top 25 Best Beaches In the United States” Traveler’s Choice Award, TripAdvisor 2011
- AOL Travel Top 10 Budget Destinations for 2011 – AOL, 2011
- CNN Top Five Value Destinations for Winter 2010 – CNN, 2010
- Top Five Bargain Destinations for Spring 2010 – USA Today, 2010
- #3 “Top 10 Vacation Rental Hot Spots in the U.S.” –TripAdvisor, 2010
- #2 “Top 10 Destination to Visit in 2010”–Frommer’s Travel Guides, 2009
- America’s Top 10 Beaches – TripAdvisor, 2008, 2009
- America’s Top 5 Beaches for Families – Travel Channel, 2009
- Top Five “Best Beaches” – Southern Living, 2000, 2008
photo credit| oldcarsweekly.com